Some time ago, Munira, a regular in my cybergang, turned me on to Coke Studio, a rock/traditional/fusion music show in Pakistan with a post highlighting some fantastic music. Since then I’ve been hooked. I’ve trawled through all the past series and downloaded my faves. It’s official, okay, no cheap scamming.
Can you believe I was excited to hear that Season 5 was on it’s way ? Why do I love this show ?
1. They’re a great house band.
2. The music is as varied as it comes, mixing traditional styles with rock/rap/funk/whatever.
3. It is pushing the boundaries by blending traditional instruments with modern music.
4. The band work with different artistes for each song. The variety keeps it sparky.
5. Guaranteed…..you can never foretell where a song or piece of music is going. It’s an adventure.
At a time when Pakistan is often in the western news for all the wrong reasons it is a reminder that there are some great artists and musicians working hard to earn a living and producing some great work.
And isn’t this just a great endorsement of the web. A new rock show starts on the other side of the world and I can sit and watch it in the Cotswolds. Wonderful.
Here is my favourite from Episode 1 – check it out. Go on, tell me it doesn’t rock !